Sterling silver is an alloy of silver containing 92.5% by weight of silver & balance 7.5% is other metal(s). Since fine silver is too soft to use it for making jewelry, it is alloyed with copper or other metals to increase its hardness and strength. Most of the designer jewellery is based on good quality sterling silver. If it is not properly cared then the sterling silver can lose its luster.
How to clean, care and store
- Use a soft cloth to clean sterling silver jewellery. Avoid putting too much force on the silver which has thin wires.
- Rub gently along the grains of silver and not circular.
- Wear the jewellery more often so that there is no room for occurrence of tarnish.
- Usage of liquid cleaners can damage the surface of sterling silver. To ensure longevity use a clean soft cloth.
- Cleaning your jewellery regularly is needed to avoid build-up of tarnish.
- Also avoid contact of hairspray & lotion. be on a safer side and not to cause any damage to the jewellery, wear it in the last.
- Exposure to air can cause silver to tarnish; hence sterling silver must be stored in dry and air tight space like ziplock bags, tightly sealed boxes.
- Intermittent cleaning by professionals can ensure less damage to the silver in long run.
- The silver to be stored where there is less humidity, mostly in a cool and dry place.
- If the jewellery is going to be stored for a longer time, put in a sachet of silica or a piece of chalk as this will avoid moisture.
What to avoid
- Places to avoid wearing sterling silver jewellery - Swimming, showering, sunbathing or working out are few of the places to be avoided wearing your sterling silver.
- Also avoid contact with food that are acidic.
Follow these simple steps to ensure the longevity of your silver jewellery.
Shop some of the silver jewelry styles from Nirwaana here.
Leave a comment
Also in Blog Posts
Anniversary Gemstones : A Complete Guide
By Nirwaana Admin February 27, 2021
We all have known about birthstones. But did you know there are specific gemstones to mark celebration of each anniversary milestone? Well yes, wedding anniversaries too have gemstones associated. Here we’ve compiled a list of ‘anniversary gemstones’ for each year. Next time you want to pick a gift for the wedding anniversary, make it super special! There is nothing is better than a gemstone jewelry, devoted to a particular anniversary.
Choose The Jewelry That Suits You Most
By Nirwaana Team 1 January 21, 2021
What Metal & Gemstone Colours Look The Best On You
By Nirwaana Admin June 15, 2020
Here are simple guidelines to select jewelry that suits your skin undertone, which will make your next online jewelry purchase easy & convenient.