Here's all you need to know about Thewa
The Thewa jewelry dates back to hundreds of years originating from the royal land of Rajasthan. It is a heritage gained by the goldsmiths of Rajasthan which has been passed through several generations.
It is a unique jewelry created by using 23-carat gold lalong with different colored glasses. The word 'Thewa' is a Rajasthani word meaning 'setting'. Therefore as the name suggests this validity is all about the proper setting of different colored glasses and 23-carat gold. It is believed that it was first evolved from the Pratapgarh district of Rajasthan in India.
Origin of Thewa jewelry
Legends believe that Thewa jewelry is a gift from the era of Maharawat Saman Singh's rule in Pratapgarh, Rajasthan. Some people also believe that it dates back to the Mughal era.
It involves the infusion of 23-carat gold leaf on colorful glasses to give unique designs.
How is it created?
Creation of Thewa jewelry requires highly trained craftsmen to give it a perfect finish and it is a completely handcrafted.
The jewelry is created after a series of process which goes as follows:
- A 23-carat gold leaf (thin sheet) is created by beating a 23-carat gold bar which is called 'Thewa ki Patti'.
- A detailed pattern is pierced on this gold sheet while the sheet is still hot and after the design is indicated perfectly the excess gold sheet is removed.
- After this, the designed gold sheet is washed properly with a mild acid to remove the extra substance.
- Once the sheet is completely ready it is infused over the multi-colored glass surface.
- The final step involves a transparent glass being attached in the back of the sheet and the glass to enhance the color of the colored glass.
- Several gemstones are also used in Thewa jewelry such as sapphire, ruby, and emerald.
The Thewa jewelry pieces are exported worldwide because of their popularity all over the world. Till today Royal families who have descended from rulers of the Rajasthan wear Thewa jewelry on special occasions. Craftsmen who create such jewelry pieces have been recognized by the Indian government several times as they have been honored by many national awards.
It is interesting to note that even UNESCO has provided many awards and recognition to such craftsmen.
Indeed, Thewa jewelry is a gift presented to India by the royals of Rajasthan as this creation is as unique as it sounds because of all the hard work put together to create each and every single piece to ensure perfection.